Monday 9 September 2013

Green Day / Basket Case



I like the surreal effect of this video and want to use certain aspects of it to recreate something of a similar style using the track "Where Is My Mind" by The Pixies. "Basket Case" and "Where Is My Mind" are similar in that they both illustrate a sense of inner turmoil. This is expressed in the "Basket Case" video as it was filmed in an actual mental institution in Santa Clara County, California. "The institution had been abandoned, but most of the structure remained in a broken-down state. The band members found old patient files, deep scratches in the walls and dental molds scattered around."
The video frequently references the film "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", and was originally filmed in black and white, although colour was added in later. The abstract colour palette contributes to the psychedelic and almost psychotic feel of the video, enhancing the vocalist's struggle with anxiety and an altered state of mind.
"Where Is My Mind" was inspired by the vocalist's experiences while scuba diving, in which he claims a fish was "chasing" him. Similarly, the "Basket Case" video uses images of fish swimming around to convey a sense of disorientation and even a loss of sanity. I would like to somehow incorporate this aspect within my own music video, as it links into the song's major influence.

1 comment:

  1. Another great song and video. I like they way you are thinking about using elements from this.
    You need to be able to (and I do when I am marking it)draw a clear line between your research, planning and video. The video that you describe needs to be the one you end up making (to ensure potential for full marks all round).
    Good work Laura.

    ReplyDelete